Re: Words and Names

Jan 18, 1995 05:33 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

Two thoughts on this:

1.  If we are quoting someone else's words/writings, then we
should quote what they said *as they said it.* The early founders
of the TS used the language of their day, and should properly be
quoted in it - anything else is either a paraphrase or a
distortion.

2.  If we are writing in today's language for readers of today,
then the gender-inclusive language is, IMHO, essential.  As a
recent guidline points out, "we are writing to convince, not to
offend." See (if John Mead gets/finds it, my article published in
the English Theosophical Journal, "I'm Alright, Jill .  .  .?"

AB.
--
Please send E-mail to:
guru@nellie2.demon.co.uk