Re: No Dichotomy

Jan 16, 1995 07:52 PM
by Arthur Paul Patterson

> To One and All,
>
> The division of Authority vs Individualism is false, both
> metaphysically and practically.  I was not holding forth for
> Tradition *instead* of Self-reliance -- just saying do not rely
> *exclusively* on either.  For most folks, staying close to a
> tradition and its noble ethics, provides a valuable balance to
> our personality's self-cherishing.

No doubt that this is true.  I only wanted to see how you blended
these sources.  What particular aspect is most appealing for what
kind of issues.  What sort of checks are there to Tradition and
Self Reliance have you learned to put into practise.

Interesting that you read the post in a dichotomous manner of
either/ or.  I do assume a both /and approach but in order to
learn, sometimes discussing the sources separately is helpful.  I
think that you were coming down on the side of Tradition a little
harder than that of Self Reliance in your abortion posts.  I am
not arguing with you about the right or wrong of that I merely
want to know why.  I think that the setting of the abortion issue
can be viewed from the Societal view as well as from the
Individual's view.  The closer to the situation you get I would
imagine the closer to the individual view you become - what do
you think?

Arthur Paul Patterson