The Holy War on Abortion. Bless bomb, then fire.

Jan 16, 1995 11:29 AM
by John Mead

Hi -

I finally got some time to answer.  sorry to take so long.  I
think that I may have little more to contribute to this subject.
My participation would only support the violent storm.

:-)     jem@vnet.net

> (from Nicholas)

> Yes, quite different JRC.  May I call you J? As a matter of fact
> "mutual interdependence" is an idea way beyond me.  But I wrote
> "mutual dependence", not dependence.  According to the dictionary
> interdependence is defined as "mutual dependence."

I suggest you reread the dictionary definition of dependance
again.  It has several very different meanings depending <g> on
context.  I will depend on you to do so <G>.

> with separateness and karma being only individual, not group.
> Mr.  Mead's words sounded as if he thought karma was mass of
> parallel lines, with each individual doing their own thing
> untouched by others.

then I ststed my point poorly.  I mentioned the inherent problem
with this idea being taken to excess, which is why balance and
compromise was the main point of the letter.  (intended, anyway)

> Your and my lack of omniscience is taken for granted J.

as we do for *everyone* on this list.

> However, when they discovered their vast ignorance, they chose
> not to cherish it, but to seek Truth wherever they could find it;
> even if it lay outside their precious self.

they mostly found ignorance and confusion on the outside.  The
Truth is usually easier to find from within.

> [...] If their personal candle cast too pale a glow to walk by,
> then why not accept the "authority of the torches" held by
> others?

because their personal candle is much dimmer than the
individual's candle, held so much closer to her eyes&mind.
Personal experienc is the only trustworthy guide.

> [how/why can you] prefer *your* ideas over traditional values
> expressed by *others*.

The Pope definitely agrees with you here. <G>

at long last, I can rest my mind.  all has already been done for
me.  ahhhh,...  to rest and become a theoso-fossil, and just eat
the stale bread.  <g>

> Note I wrote expressed not imposed.  Do you really think
> traditional virtues survived for these many ages only because
> some authoritarian religion or state keeps imposing them?

Not all people have the same traditions.  Native American Indians
used tobacco and ate meat.  There is nothing inherently wrong
with either.  The Christian tradition uses alcohol and also eats
meat.

But other traditions would ban tobacco, meat, coffee, alcohol
etc.  You apparantly would support such laws too??

main point:

Natural-Law is *always* enforced by the natural universe.  I am
surprised you feel that you can do a better job :-).

Legal laws are *always* imperfect.  They are always out of date.
They never take into account the specifics of each individual
case.  They are also *not* enforcible.  They can actually cause
greater harm than that which they try to avoid.  This is
*especially* true with abortion.  Each case is very different,
and must be handled individually.  That is why society should
depend (i.e.  trust) the individuals involved in each instance.
No one else has the time, energy, resources, information, Wisdom,
etc.  to make an ethical and moral decision per each situation.

one question I do have for you which I would like answered
(directed to Nicholas)

why did Christ not intervene in his own death.  Perhaps he knew
more than we do, and allowed it to happen in that case??

perhaps we should execute him for his flagrant disregard of the
effects it caused on global Karma?? :-) <GG>

one other small point:
> Whence comes this craving for each person to reinvent the
> ethical wheel?

If the wheel is well balanced it will roll on its own.  But, no
person can make one perfectly balanced wheel for each individual
cart.  It is a good analogy, staticly-balanced objects never run
as true as the ones which are balanced dynamically.

peace --

john mead

p.s.

the discussion of this topic is a perfect example of how people
who try to do good can actually cause more harm by creating yet
more violence.  We are on the verge of another civil war in this
country, thank you for helping :-)

The choice to do nothing, is very often the best choice.