Hodson research books and a quote - 2nd try

Dec 08, 1994 09:27 PM
by MURRAY

Martin Euser,

You said you would try to find some Hodson books in your post of
28 Nov 94.  The following titles are the nearest of his to your
interests that I know of:

     Music Forms

          The first book on the subject, on work done in the
          1930s.

     Clairvoyant Investigations

          About half of it is on the music form research I helped
          him with round about 1978.  The rest is on New Zealand
          devas etc.

     The Science of Seership

          Contains a number of pieces in different subject areas,
          some of them exploring the potential of clairvoyance
          for scientific research, and some on diagnosis of
          disease.  Must have been written in the 20s or 30s.
          The publishers, Rider of London, haven't put a date in
          the book.  Original version is out of print.

     Some Experiments in Four Dimensional Vision.

          Co-authored by Alexander Horne.  Published by Rider in
          1933.  Describes and discusses some observations of
          elementary shapes.  Original version is out of print.

I have copies of all these, so can answer simple queries if you
can't get a copy.

I'd like to reproduce a piece from Hodson's Four Dimensional
Vision book, as it is very relevant to this kind of
investigation.  This is the chapter headed "Remarks by Geoffrey
Hodson":

After reading Mr Horne's reports of, and comments upon, our
mutual researches into the fourth dimension, I feel that both an
apology and an explanation are due for the obvious limitations on
my clairvoyant faculty.  I must admit that I found the work very
trying and difficult, in spite of Mr Horne's most sympathetic
treatment of the investigations.

Accuracy in clairvoyant research into geometrical problems
demands the ability to exclude all irrelevant phenomena.  No
non-clairvoyant can possibly appreciate this difficulty.  In the
first place, as soon as clairvoyant sight is "turned on," one
becomes aware of extremely potent discharges of energy from the
earth itself, from every object in the room, from one's own body
and that of one's colleagues, as well as from the object itself.
At first these numerous streams of energy are extremely
confusing, and the clairvoyant must in some way develop the
technique of self-insulation, both mentally and physically, from
their effects.

Again, every atom of these emanations and of all solid substances
(and therefore of the object under investigation) contains
consciousness as well as energy, and all objects display visibly
their whole history to clairvoyant sight.  This too has to be
excluded in such research as that described in this book.

Another difficulty with which the investigator has to contend is
the fact of interplane correspondences which further confuse the
investigator and render absolute accuracy extremely difficult to
obtain.  This universe appears to be constructed on numerical
principles, which diagrammatically can be likened to the notes
and octaves of the keyboard of a piano.  The dense physical world
- with its notes of solid, liquid, gaseous and four etheric
states - corresponds to the lowest octave.  The next world (the
emotional) is an octave higher; the nemtal, higher still; whilst
beyond that are four other planes, each subdivided into seven.
All of these planes occupy the same actual location and
interpenetrate each other.

On the whole, however, interference is prevented by the
difference in frequency and density between the planes, but there
are certain interior correspondences which operate, apparently on
the principle of harmonics, by means of which phenomena and
states of consciousness appropriate to one plane may osmose into
another.  Thus it appeared that one of the subplanes of the
emotional is in direct correspondence with the plane of abstract
mind, so that an object which, with a slightly lower order of
vision, appears concrete and limited in time, space, and
dimension respectively, may to a slightly higher order of vision
appear in terms of abstract existence outside of those
limitations.  The visions of the "U" and cross shapes associated
with the physical cube are, I believe, explainable by means of
these interplane relationships.

With regard to the fourth dimension itself, I must admit that I
cannot claim ever to have brought clearly into my
brain-consciousness a true conception of this added dimension or
direction in space.  It appears that when the consciousness is
translated from one plane to another, privation occurs, so that
the realization of that higher condition is lost, though the
memory of it may be brought over, translated into terms of the
lower.  This limitation may be partly overcome by self-training,
but I have not yet succeeded in rising above certain apparently
inevitable limitations.