Christmas/Solstice stories/quotes???

Nov 22, 1994 08:13 AM
by Jessica L. Coker

This is from Nancy.    Tues. a.m.

Hello again.  I just got a new computer and am switching
from DOS to WINDOWS and have been just bearly/barely? treading
water and definitely NOT keeping up with what look to be
very interesting conversations.

I need to design Christmas/Solstice greetings and would like
input -- do any of you have favorite TS/spiritual/inspiring
 quotes or stories you'd be up for sharing, remembering or
giving book:page no.'s?   This letter will be going out to
people who are taking the Theosophical Correspondence Courses
and have a passing understanding of our principles.  I'm about
to start researching it myself, but if anyone has a seasonally
appropriate -- is that a new term? -- saying or quote, I'd be
very very appreciative.

I'll begin by sharing one we used long ago for Deva:
Tell me the weight of a snowflake, a coal mouse asked a wild
dove.
Nothing more than nothing, was the answer

In that case, I must tell you a marvelous story, the coal-mouse
said.  I sat on the branch of a fir, close to its trunk, when it
began to snow -- not heavily, not in a raging blizzard -- no just
like in a dream, without a wound and without any violence.  Since
I did not have anything better to do, I counted the snowflakes
settling on the twigs and needles of my branch.

Their number was exactly 3,741,952.  When the 3,741,953rd dropped
onto dropped onto the branch, nothing more than nothing, as you
say the branch broke off.

Having said that the coal-mouse flew away

The dove, since Noah's time, an authority on the matter, thought
about the story for a while and finally said to herself, Perhaps
there is only one person's voice lacking for peace to come to the
world.

This was taken from New Fables, Thus Spoke the Carabou by Kurt
Kauter, tho I've never been able to trace it to its source.

Since we discovered it, it has been reprinted in the UN's news
and on many greeting cards

I can use it again, but I'd like something new.

Any help is appreciated.
Nancy