re: "principle questions"

Aug 26, 1994 07:21 PM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

Sarah,

S> You say you will use HPBs schema as follows:
>
> Auric egg
> Buddhi
> Manas
> Lower Manas
> Kama
> Prana
> Linga Sarira
>
> Can you give a reference to this particular list?
> Is this from The Inner Group Teachings?  Why is the
> list on p.632, vol. 2 of The Secret Doctrine
> show these seven principles with different names? I
> am referring to the (Esoteric) Indian list.

     HPB listed the principles in different ways to illustrate
different points.  I didn't copy the above list from anywhere,
but compiled it in this order, because it seemed the best one to
address your questions.  However, Diagram I of the E.S.
Instructions I (CW XII, facing pg. 524), is almost identical to
my list, except that it uses the term "kama rupa" instead of
kama.
     The list on p. 632 of the S.D. follows after the one given
in ~Esoteric Buddhism~, published in 1883.  By the time HPB
published the S.D., in 1888, Sinnett's listing had already become
a "standard" among students, and HPB was sort of "stuck" with it.
Sinnett's schema is correct as far as it goes, but veils some
teachings and reveals others.

S> As you express it, it appears that each principle
> inter penetrates with the others, yet there seems to be
> some purpose in the order with which they are described.
> If Linga Sarira is considered the 1st principle, perhaps
> I should have asked about that one instead of focusing
> on Kama which appears on your list as number 3.

It depends upon your focus.  HPB changed the order and names of
principles in order to focus on certain aspects of this study.
Sometimes she listed them from the most spiritual to the most
physical (deductively); or from the most physical to the most
spiritual (inductively).  In diagram II of E.S.  Instructions I
(CW XII, facing p.  532), she lists "kama-rupa" first.  This is
an anthropocentric view, because psychologically speaking,
kama-rupa is the most important principle.  Therefore, I thought
your choice was very appropriate.

S> However, what do you mean by, <the focus of kama dwells
> in the physical brain>?  What do you mean by the word
> focus?

Though the physical brain is guided by the manasaputras, it is
much too gross of an organ for them, so it is the lower manas
(kama-manas) that actually works through the physical brain.  For
all but a small minority on this planet, the focus of kama-manas
is kama--in other words, our thinking is driven by our feelings--
thus the focus of kama is in the physical brain.  For fifth
rounders (our next evolutionary step), who have shifted over to
manas--then the focus would be on manas.  But these people are
very rare.

How does the Linga Sarira make the connection to the physical
body?

The linga sarira is the model upon which the physical body is
built, and forms the body for the first seven years.  After that,
the body forms the linga sarira.  Therefore every organ in the
body has a correspondence in the linga sarira.  The centers of
sensation (e.g.  seeing, smelling, touching, hearing) are called
"indriyas" and are located in the linga sarira.  Sensations are
transmitted to these indriyas through physical molecules.

S> What is the Stula Sarira? Is that
> the Sanskrit name for physical body or is there another
> name for that?

Yes, the stula sarira is the term HPB uses for physical body.

S> Where is the "screen" or name of the
> principle where the images appear that we see when we
> close our eyes? Is that what you mean by the focus of
> kama? Please explain further.

I'm not following you here.  Please elaborate and quote where you
are drawing this question from.

S> You say <kama is concerned with desires arising from
> all the organs including the sexual.>  Would I be
> correct then to say that kama must be regulated in
> order to keep it in balance so that desire in general
> which includes sexual desire does not express itself
> in harmful or unethical ways.

The physical body operates out of habit.  If we are in the habit
of going to bed and getting up at a certain hour, then we get
thrown off if we suddenly change that habit.  Chelas in training
live a pretty rigorously routine life, and they also work on
their thoughts and feelings.  We have to take responsibility for
our thoughts (kama-manas), feelings (kama) and actions
(physical).  They are not beyond our control, and we have to
learn to be their masters.

S> You say <kama is the vehicle of the animal instincts
> and passions.>  Would it be correct to say that kama
> IS animal instinct, or does the word vehicle refer
> to something like veins which carry the blood through
> the body?  The veins being kama, and animal instinct
> separate from it?

The source of "instinct" is really atma.  If I said "instincts"
it was a bad choice of terms (a result of trying to compose at
two in the morning).  "Animal desires" or "passions" is a better
choice of terms.  Yes, vehicle is just that, something that holds
something else.  Thus kama is the vehicle of animal desires.  In
the same sense, the physical body is really the vehicle for all
of the other principles, but in this case, it is not itself a
principle.

Osmar,

I was very pleased to see that your Brazilian survey showed that
out of the 19 topics named that should be covered by theosophical
publications, ethics came in third.  You made my day! We have a
very close friend in Bolivia who has a theosophical center there.
Her name is Dora Crespo.  Have you heard of her?

Jerry Hejka-Ekins