Theosophical Education

Aug 06, 1994 11:19 AM
by Vic Hao Chin

We have been asked by the General Council of the Theosophical
Society to prepare a manual on "Theosophical Education" which is
intended to be useful for groups or lodges which intend to put up
theosophical schools, whether grade school or high school.  So
far as we know, there is none prepared in the past.

The manual is intended to cover two parts:

- theoretical : this will cover the philosophical foundations on
what is called "theosophical education"; what makes an education
system "theosophical"?

- applied: this will cover actual techniques and approaches to
teaching various subjects from a theosophical point of view; e.g.
natural sciences, social sciences, ethics, physical education,
arts, etc.

As this work requires the cooperation of theosophical educators,
we are interested in hearing from you on your suggestions on:

- aspects of this issue

- suggested names/addresses of theosophists whom we should write
to for advice and contribution in terms of ideas/articles

If there are relevant books/articles on this that we do not have,
we would appreciate your referral.  We shall pay for the cost of
purchase or reproduction and mailing costs.

Such a manual, if well done, will help immensely in guiding
sections who have schools or are planning to put up one but who
are not sure whether they are merely duplicating the efforts of
others or truly contributing in a theosophical way.  H.P.B.  has
stressed the importance of education but as a worldwide movement
the Theosophical Society may not have done much yet in this
direction.

vhc@philtap.tool.nl, or by mail to the following address:

        Theosophical Society in the Philippines
        1 Iba St., Quezon City, Philippines