Re: White Brotherhood

Jul 29, 1994 06:08 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

Dear Osmar,

I'm not sure what you mean by the "asekha" level (pardon if I
misspell).  Most of the characters in TMR can be shown in historical
writings to have been leaders in various occult or Eastern traditions.
The evidence is of the sort one finds in any history book; contemporary
sources and recent scholarship, combined with some unpublished
material.  An obvious example is Swami Dayananda Sarasvati, with whom
Theosophists have been familiar for a century.  Since HPB and Olcott
fell out with him, it has been conveniently forgotten that initially
they both regarded him as a Mahatma of the Great White Brotherhood.
See Old Diary Leaves for more info.  I use Dayananda's letters,
published in India, to unravel the story from his side of the conflict.

As for the esoteric reality behind the historical events, I have an
open mind but little inclination to speculate.  My objective is simply
to establish as clearly as possible what happened in history; others
are welcome to theorize as to metahistorical forces acting through the
characters and events.

Namaste