Seminar Report

Jun 20, 1994 06:24 PM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

Sarah,

     The seminar went well, though in four hours of presentation
time, we were only able to do one and a half presentations--John
Shafer's presentation, and half of mine.  We have decided to
continue the seminar next month in Oakland, where I will finish
my presentation and Christina Zubelli will give hers.  By that
time, John Shafer should have more material to report on his
topic.

     After lunch, Saturday, John Shafer presented the first
report.  His was on the seven principles from the Greek
perspective.  Among the points he discussed were: The
relationship of 1, 7 and 10 in the Tetraktys; The relationship of
numbers to the Divine--being a comparison of the ideas of
Pythagoras, Plato and Aristotle on this subject; The relationship
between number, geometry, music and astrology concerning space
and time; the relationship between number and color.

     My presentation was on H.P.B.'s teachings concerning the
seven principles from a historical perspective.  My main
objective was to show how she laid ground work by getting across
basic ideas in her earlier works and building upon them in order
to make understood more complex ideas discussed in her later
writings.  I also discussed the influence of Sinnett's ~Esoteric
Buddhism~ upon the thinking of theosophical students and the
complications that arose out of that presentation, when H.P.B.
tried to give more advanced teachings.  I also touched upon the
background of the "debate" between Subba Row and H.P.B.
concerning the system Sinnett gave out, trying to clear up some
misconceptions concerning it (Christina Zubelli will give an in
depth presentation on Subba Row at the next meeting).  Finally, I
began to discuss some of the more abstruse teachings concerning
the seven principles in the E.S. Instructions, concentrating on
issues most misunderstood.  But this will be where I will begin
the next meeting.

     Christina Zubelli will also be giving a presentation of
Subba Row's teachings and the "debate" between him and H.P.B.

     I hope that is what you were looking for.

Best

Jerry Hejka-Ekins