Re: Cyril Scott

May 26, 1994 00:00 AM
by Joseph Titland

On Tue, 24 May 1994, K. Paul Johnson wrote:

>    SUNY Press just sent me a reader's report on my current ms.
> One thing it says presents a real challenge-- that I shouldn't
> ignore the writings of Cyril Scott.  The challenge is that I am
> totally ignorant of this person and haven't a clue as to how
> relevant he is to what I'm pursuing.  Checking on OCLC I found
> him as author of a series on "The Initiate" -- each book having
> that in its title. Anyone have any insight into this author and his
> significance to theosophical history? Thanks in advance for
> any tidbits.

Paul:

I take this from p.  204 of Great Song, The Life and Teachings of Joe
Miller: "Admired by Claude Debussy, Sir Edward Elgar, G.B.  Shaw, and
others, Cyril Scott (1879-1970) was not only a celebrated musical
composer, he was also the author of numerous books of mystical
philosophy, occult fiction, nutrition, and healing lore.  Crafted for
seekers struggling in the western world of the 20th century, Scott's
The Greater Awareness expounded a holistic programme aimed at
realization through the cultivation of love and awareness.  In Music:
Its Secret Influence Throughout The Ages, Scott articulated his views
on how the works of masters such as Wagner, Beethoven, and Chopin
affected the evolution of human consciousness." The Greater Awareness
is published by Samuel Weiser (York Beach Me., 1981) Don't know on the
other one.  If you (or any other theosophists on line) haven't read
"Great Song" which is about Joe Miller, a long time San Francisco
theosophist who died in 1992, I think you might find it worthwhile.
It's published by Maypop (196 Westview Drive, Athens, Georgia 30606,
1993).

Joseph