Re: Disseminating theosophy

May 24, 1994 09:05 AM
by LEWIS LUCAS

Hi Andrew,

    I am another librarian and think you have a great idea. This has
long been one of my main interest. One of the letters from the
Mahatmas said the silence of ages was not broken for the benefit of a
handful of Western Europes intellectuals, but for the masses.
Theosophy has yet to reach those masses. There must be more effective
methods today than those established at the end of the 19th century.
    One thing that has struck me in monitoring these discussions is
how much talking we do to each other. I have gotten on local bulletin
boards and posted such questions as:

    Is there anyone who has had a near death experience?
    Does anyone have a "real" ghost story?
    Does anyone know anything about reincarnation?

   Of course I got a lot of smartass remarks, but I also turned up a
few people with interests in metaphysical subjects that I was able to
introduce some theosophical ideas to.
    Here it seems much of the time and energy is spent on debates
over whose interpretation of the source materials is more correct.

                                    Lewis