Alice Cleather

May 13, 1994 06:11 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

Have just decided to end my work in progress with a section on
Alice Cleather, HPB's Inner Group pupil who rejected both T.S.'s
and at age 82 traveled across the Tibetan plateau to meet the
Panchen Lama (whom she had formerly met in Beijing).  Turns out she
was also the first Westerner to take pansil at Bodh Gaya, and her
longest and best book originated as a series of articles for the
Maha Bodhi Journal, edited by Dharmapala, who occupies the first
quarter of part 3, of which Alice will be the end.

Any stories about her, her colleague Basil Crump or son Gordon,
that I won't have found in standard sources are most welcome.

Jerry H-E, I bet you know a lot about this one.

Also any comments about Cleather's historical significance are
invited.

Namaste y'all