AAB\HPB

Apr 08, 1994 02:52 PM
by Arvind Kumar

Jerry H-E,

I had a very busy week and even though I worked on a
response to your last post a couple of times, I
could not finish it.  I'll send you a response to
your previous message later, but I did have a few pieces of
info/issues/questions that I'd like to raise right now
with you:

1.Thanks to the wonderful librarian at Olcott (Elisabeth Trumpler)
I got the Bowen article yesterday in the mail (alongwith
'Serpent in the Sky' by Anthony West, which I had requested).
Actually I had not asked her to lend it to me but she follows
our discussion on theos-roots and had enclosed it with my request
for 'The Serpent..', after reading your suggestion to me to read
it. If you have not mailed it to me by now, you need not do so.

I read the article and understand 'where you are coming from'.
BTW, the reference for the '7 meanings of occult books' that
you had asked me to find is in TCF p. 110 footnote (I believe
it is footnote 48 or 49).  There are some references in this
footnote to TSD as well, which I'd like to read (but can't)
due to lack of a 'concordance'(you may like to check them out).

2.The discussion on Wesak festival and other items related to
the AAB autobiography leads me to this next question:  what
are your impressions/opinions about AAB after having read
the autobiography? It appears to me that she has written some
of the most wonderful stuff alongwith some other stuff that
may be questionable or speculative, as in the case of the
Wesak festival.  Perhaps her own writing may be somewhat
less reliable as compared to what she put down with the
Tibetan.  I also think the same about HPB after reading
your comment about the discussion of Devachan by HPB being
not consistent with the Tibetan Buddhism tradition.  It appears
that all of these wonderful authors in the 'theosophic'
tradition have made some mistakes.  Seeing that you have such
extensive background in HPB material (and the fact that I have
the highest regard for what HPB wrote) I'd be extremely
interested in a 'no holds barred' or free discussion by you
of what you thought of AAB's autobiography and the person that
comes through the book.

3.Have you heard of the Seth material (was it channeled by
Jane Roberts?)?  What do you think about it?  I was reading
about it in some theosophical magazine and was very curious about
what type of information is contained in it.

4.I just finished reading Esoteric Buddhism by Sinnet (Wizard
edition that you sent me) and am starting with '5 Years of
theosophy' now.

5.There is a show called 'Ancient Prophecies' or something like
that which is supposed to re-air on NBC on April 10 (Sunday). I
was asked by a couple of people to watch it and I am just
passing on that info to you here; it may be of interest to us all.

6.I saw your post on the 'Post Modern Theosophical Dialogue'..
best wishes for its success!  And the idea of serving Vegan food
is wonderful.

Fraternally,

Arvind