Second Try

Mar 07, 1994 12:58 PM
by Arvind Kumar

Jim,

This is to acknowledge the receipt of your letter and
the book on 'The Fourteen Rules of Initiation'
that you had borrowed from me.  I agree with you fully
that it is one of the best books that I have seen,
shedding considerable light on the rules for
meditation.

I met Zachary Lansdowne at a conference arranged by the
Seven Ray University last year and found him to be a
wonderful source of information on Bailey books.
I got all the books that he has written by calling the
toll free number for Samuel Wiser which appears in the
Quest magazine every now and then.  Yes, all of his
books are based on the Bailey material.  He has a very
interesting background.  I think he studied under Haridas
Chowdhary when the California Institue for Integral Studies
was founded. Haridas was a direct disciple of Sri Aurobindo
(I think) and had wonderful ideas for this institute but after
he passed on, apprarently his successors sought accredition
for the institute, which was granted but at a cost of
some compromises (which according to Zachary L. have rendered
the institute a lot less effective. I think he meant that
it had become much more theoretical or academic than what
Haridas meant it to be).

Anyways, Mr. Lansdowne then proceeded to complete an MS and
a PhD in Systems Engineering (I think) and now works with the
USAir Force (if I remember correctly) somewhere near Boston.
He is apparently quite active in the Boston Theosophical
Lodge (which was involved in some controversy with TSA over
funds that were received as a result of the sale of a building
by the Lodge).  This lodge apprently studies the works of Bailey,
at least most of the time!  This is part of what I gathered
by talking to Mr. Lansdowne last year.

Anyway, we enjoyed your visit very much and look forward to seeing
you here again soon.  There seems to be a move to start a listserver
for Bailey studies as well.  I am forwarding a message I got on it
(see below) to you so you can contact Eric directly if interested.
I'll give you info on the Dallas Bailey groups later; got to go
now --

Best Regards/Arvind