Re: Paul Johnson's comments on my comments!

Feb 18, 1994 10:14 AM
by K. Paul Johnson

Dear Terry,

Your interest in dialogue is in itself evidence that you're not an
extreme Theosophical fundamentalist.  Maybe only 5% in the movement
are-- but since they're the most likely to be outraged by my work I am
highly conscious of the nature of their opposition.  I don't mean to
accuse you of blind belief, and if my comments express some
exasperation or bitterness it's based on a series of experiences since
the Gnosis article came out-- not your own questions/comments.

Divergence of opinion and outlook is a healthy aspect of the
Theosophical movement, "within certain limits" as HPB said.  The limits
aren't, I would think, those of the opinions or outlooks but rather of
the mutual respect with which we address points of disagreement.

Dugpas are a pretty sensitive topic to me because a very high ranking
Theosophist has gone so far as to suggest that my writings have been
inspired (dictated?) by them.

This dialogue is good practice for me to develop an explanatory rather
than a defensive mode of response to criticism or challenge, and I
appreciate your help in keeping on track.

Paul