Jupiter collision with comet in July

Jan 29, 1994 09:54 AM
by John Mead

Hi --

I just pulled down the FAQ file from alt.sci.planetary
on the collision between Jupiter and the Comet Shoemaker-Levy 9
which will occur this July  7/16->7/22

if anyone wants this information, I can mail it to them.

This table includes dates and times for impact of most of the 20+
fragments. The total energy is still estimated in the
100,000 Megaton range. factors of ~5 are still floating around though.
The file also contains some results of Numerical (physics models)
studies involving the impact details. (w.r.t Jovian Atmosphere).
This impact is about the same size as the one which occurred
during the K-T boundary on Earth (bye-bye dino's fame).
Of course, Jupiter is so large that it is negligible w.r.t.
the mass of Jupiter...

Peace

John Mead