prana

Dec 06, 1993 01:58 PM
by Eldon B. Tucker

This is by Brenda Tucker.

Gerry and Betty:

Have you ever heard of the work of Martha S.  Russell? Florice Tanner
reports on this work and the universal principles embodied in it,
which she states are mentioned only briefly in the Russell's books, (A
MUSIC LENS ON HISTORY, 1952; SWING, SWING, PLAY, 1938) but which are
freely stated in the unpublished notes given to her pupils (Florice
Tanner among them).  The article I'd like to report on is found in
SCIENCE, YOGA AND PHILOSOPHY, a selection of papers presented at The
Centenary International Convention of The Theosophical Society in
December, 1975.  Its title is "Subtle Energies Used in Daily Tasks,"
it is by Florice Tanner, and it covers several responsibilities she
believes the earnest student has as well as Russell's research on
prana.  One reason for presenting it here and now is as a response to
Gerald and Betty Schueler's "The Laws of Chaos Magic."

Gerry and Betty discuss Magic Points, critical points where a small
change can have large consequences.  They say also that, "Magic Points
are seldom obvious, and stimulation of a Magic Point usually gets bad
results before it gets better."

Here are some of Tanner's thoughts:

Prana, an invisible vitality which we can feel and can direct, must be
released upward and outward as the lung-breath is released downward.
This balance attained, a normal primary process, frees our
self-expression and bodily movement, integrating the person and their
activity.  Likewise, every thought or mental organism is related to
respiration as a concept is defined upon inhalation causing invisible
leverages to focus automatically in relation to our concept.

The point between the inhalation and exhalation is most critical.
This point must be flexible so that the negatively polarized force may
change direction into the positive or overt step.  With split-second
equilibrium and timing: if the pranic currents are released upward
simultaneously as the lung-breath and "body" rest downward, the
impulse to action will build freely toward completion.  Another
polarized release at the climax of the action, or turning point of
energy, gives the quality of fulfillment or a feeling of at-onement.
Physical and mental energies are as essential as pranic currents, and
form together the precisely needed thrust, quality, and timing to
complete the concept and enhance action.  Quality determines the
degree of wholeness in the concept-body-action relationship.

If this is not understood intellectually, try realizing it
experimentally.  "The split second of quiet equilibrium at these
pivotal points provides a feeling of flexible readiness, receptivity,
givingness, and openness." The more complete the balance, the more
fused is the experience of wholeness.  "Unfortunately we each have
limiting factors such as mental, emotional, physical tensions, Karma,
and a host of specific inhibiting forces." Thereby, a consciously
controlled effort can aid in overcoming the limitations.

Mrs.  Russell identified definite points (in arms, legs, head, torso,
and periphery segments) where the mental leverages focus in relation
to specific action.  The leverages focus automatically in relation to
intent before any visible movement occurs.  First, impulse springs
from a breathing centre at the crossing of the diaphragm muscle, then
moves through the etheric focus of leverages, then becomes overt
movement.

The point where the etheric leverage is found changes according to the
rhythm (or timing and speed of movement).  In general, the leverages
focus at specific levels nearer our centre for fast movements and
nearer our periphery for slower expression.  For example, slightly
above the knee or above the elbow (and relatively in the head, torso,
and smaller segments) for walking or marching (4/4 rhythm) speed.  A
faster rhythm (eighth notes in music) focuses the leverages higher and
slower rhythms (half notes) focus the etheric leverages below the
knee, below the elbow, and similarly in other segments.  "Leverages
focus, not only in relation to timing, but also include slight
variations influenced by distance, speed, individual body proportions,
karma, emotional quality, and a mathematical complex that is beyond
our comprehension." The oneness or wholeness of our expression depends
on our ability in releasing the pranic-physical energy breath and the
effect in setting free the point of focus.

Usually, when considering smaller parts, such as a hand, as a whole,
one part is more active, usually the periphery, and one part acts as a
stabilizer.  The fingers and the hand, for example.  "Reversal of this
functioning accounts for many frustrations, in personal life and in
eras of history." With the whole body, the part above the diaphragm is
active and below is the stabilizing portion.  To free the point
necessary for whole body movement, release the pranic force between
these segments at the crossing points of the diaphragm muscle.  For
holistic action of the arm, the point between the attaching segment
and the extending segment, when stimulated by pranic release frees the
grace and ease of the arm.

One finding has to do with a vertical release of prana contributing to
the receptive activities, such as listening to a speaker, and the
out-going activities are enhanced by releasing prana and breath to
localize a lateral thrust, in activities such as shaking hands,
comforting, blessing, or sending healing thoughts.

This experimental work has been applied in schools and gives more
controlled efficiency in moving, listening, organizing materials and
thoughts, in emotional balance and freedom.  Ms. Tanner makes a call
for additional research in this area by both occult groups and
Universities.  Biofeedback graduate work at Northwestern University
was interrupted by World War II.  Occult groups and individuals could
explore ways to use these principles in simple movement and in
emotional, mental, and spiritual applications so these subtle energies
may better serve mankind.

"These two segments of energy, when released as polar opposites, free
our physical equipment for fullness of expression.  This polarized
balance at the beginning or impulse point starts overt expression.
The potential vital energy is released immediately to the climax of
the intent; then the physical, gravitational energy springs or extends
through time and space to join this vital energy segment.  This
merging at the climax of the action is culminated by another release
of energy-breath to fully free or complete the expression.  In rapid
action this second breath release may become the impulse release for
the next intent.  When we use polarized energy-breath, we are
resilient, balanced, and stable.  When we fail to use polarized
energy-breath, we limit both ourselves and our subsequent action or
expression.