More Tech stuff

Sep 01, 1993 10:41 AM
by Donald J. Degracia

Hi All!

John, Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you.
I haven't had a lot of time to write lately.

<The WINCODE sounds like a good idea.  Is it UUENCODE Compatible?>

Yes. The program is based on uuencode/uudecode.
However, I've been testing things out and found that WINCODE
is not completely general.

First, I found a server that would transfer files via e-mail instead of
regular FTP. Using this system (it's at Princeton Univ.) I got a
directory and file list from an anonomous FTP system at Mich State Univ.
Next, I requested a couple *.zip files from the MSU server using
UUENCODE formatting.

I recvieved the files ok as e-mail. However, I then tried to use WINCODE
to decode these and I got garbage.

So, I went into the compuserve Telecommunications forum, did a keyword
search with the term 'FTP' and found a Dos based program called
UUEXE5.zip.  This program successfully decoded one of the 2 files I
recieved from MSU.  The other file I could not decode succesfully, but
I don't know why.

So, I suspect what the case is, is that as long as a file is encoded
with WINCODE, that, as long as the person recieving the file can decode
it with WINCODE, then everything should be ok.  However, it appears
that WINCODE is inadequate for decoding files pulled off of anonomous
sites on internet.

Perhaps the Windows users amongst us would like to set up a system
using WINCODE. Or maybe, we could set up a more DOS based means of
file transfer and go with this UUEXE5.ZIP program.  I suppose it
depends on how enthusiastic we are about sending files to each other
over the list, or through the internet e-mail. Anyone have any
feelings about this?

BTW, The THEO.EXE is in the New Age Forum in Compuserve.

Well, I think that's it for now.
Hope all is well with everyone.

Best,
Don